Roof garden or a garden on the roof already known in Babylon since the 6th century BC. This concept is still used until now, because it can add green open space even in a small house. In addition, the roof garden is also considered capable of reducing solar heat into the house as well as reducing the rate of global warming.
Make a roof garden requires a strong concrete roof construction. Because the construction of the roof DAK not only support its own weight, but also the weight of the soil, plants, water, and people who live in the roof garden.
There are several steps that need to be done to create a garden on the roof of the house:
1. Make a concrete roof with a slope of 20-30 degrees. Construction using reinforced concrete cast material with a diameter of 8 mm iron. Any size 20cm x 20cm concrete columns. DAK 20cm thick floor to area 50 m².
2. Create a tub at the edge of the concrete plant, can be shaped square, round, oval, or a combination, of origin in accordance with the broad shape of existing DAK. The tub serves as a container plant.
3. Cover crops like concrete and waterproofing material. Its function is to prevent water from seeping into the room below, also protects the iron bones on the floor beams and columns.
4. Create the installation of clean and dirty water. Installation of water for watering the plants, which are directly related to the water pump or water tank. Note also the installation of waste water which is connected to the edge of the lowest DAK, then connect the pipe to the gutter to the catchment basin in the ground and into the sewers.
5. Install the palm or coconut fibers coco peat kind in on a regular lined concrete with a thickness of 10cm. Function simultaneously filter fibers to withstand the water seeping from the sand and soil.
6. Pour the red soil and humus as a growing medium. The content of the good soil pH range 5-7.
7. Planting grass on it. Planting plants in tubs fibrous roots of plants. Type of vines can be planted on the edge of a fence or wall, while the low plant on the edge of the tub and garden. Planting also flowering plants in order to look more beautiful garden.
8. Attach the fence at the front and rear gardens. Fences can be made of iron, bamboo, or wood, strong and safe home. It is better if the fence has a gate, so you like being in the yard.